As we begin a new fall season, we like to take time to refocus our hearts on Jesus. Fall is also a natural harvest time where we take time to pray and fast (abstain from something) while focusing extra time on Jesus. Here is what we we will be praying for during our Fall 2017 Day of Prayer and Fasting:
- Pray for yourself – that you would grow in your relationship with God and that He would speak to you about this fall
- Pray for the city of Cambridge where Journey Church is and the city where you live (if not in Cambridge). Pray for the government leaders (mayor, city councilors), the schools (superintendent, administrators, teachers), city officials (police, fire, social workers). Pray that God would move in our city and that the people of our city would be open to the gospel.
- Pray for pastors Kent and Gina as well as the churches of Cambridge and their pastors. Ask God to refresh them, guide them, supply everything they need, and give them wisdom and favor.
- Pray for your four (four friends that you are taking time to PRAY, CARE, SHARE, AND INVITE)
- Pray for the launch of Live Life On Purpose. Pray that God would use our personal invitations, the mass mailer, and the social media advertising to draw those that are hungry and thirsty and that many would be added to the church and begin a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Take some time to be silent and listen for God’s voice and direction
The goal of fasting is to draw near to God. During this time we eliminate distractions for a spiritual purpose; it hits the reset button of our soul and renews us from the inside out! It also enables us to celebrate the goodness and mercy of God and prepares our hearts for all of the good things God desires to bring into our lives. Whatever you fast (social media, television or food) take the time you would spend doing those things and spend extra time with Jesus. Remember, your personal fast should present a level of challenge, but it is very important to know your own body, your options, and, most importantly, to seek God in prayer and follow what the Holy Spirit leads you to do.
Scriptures On Fasting
- Matthew 6:16-18
- Matthew 9:14-15
- Luke 18:9-14
- Acts 27:33-37
- Nehemiah 9:1-3
- Pastor Kent’s Message on Why We Fast
- Church of the Highlands website
- Personal Guide to Fasting and Prayer by Campus Crusade
- Releasing God’s Power Through Fasting by Bill Bright
Types of Fasting